Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Quick summary of race nr 1

Yesterday was fun, really fun. Not only because of I witnessed innovative ways to solve back bag and aero helmet combination, but mainly because racing is big fun.

If I have to summarize my race in short, it would be something like this:

Swim: 
Emotionless effort, no flow, but no pain. I'm happy with it, but I expected that it would have felt different. On a bike and during running I know how faster pace feeling in your guts. This does not take place in swimming. However, I'm more and more pleased with my swimming gear. Goggles, Aqua Sphere Kayenne, and wet suit, Aqua Sphere Challenger, work really nicely for an entry guy like me. I'm also partially happy that painfully slow exit from wet suit is slowly improving. 


That's Bruno and me battling hard (Photo by Sari Stenholm)

Bike:
When I jumped on my stealth engine, I expected that the pain will arrive next. But it did not. I just rode and the results show that I was 7th fastest (when the transition time from bike to run is included). Garmin showed that the actual time was 45 seconds faster. In all, the average speed was around 38kmh. That's okay for me. But I should train more the transition between bike and run. 


(Photo by Marianne Palmu)

Run:
Lately, running has been a mystery for me. It is no longer my "strength" in triathlon, since I have no clue where I'm standing nowadays. Due to cold weather, my feet were close to numb when I jumped off from bike. But even if the pace is modest (yesterday it was slightly sub 3:40/km), the feeling while running after the bike has improved considerably. So, doing running exercises (short, 3km, with accelerating pace) has strengthened my running after bike. Back in the day it felt nothing but slowly increasing bundle of pain. 

In summary: I freaking happy with yesterdays' effort. Energy levels was okay, and I had no problems during the run. I took one High5 energy gel just before the swim and during the bike I took few sips of High5's Energy Source 2:1. 

Next up... Kisko triathlon in 1.5 weeks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment